In partnership with Correctional Service of Canada, Kingston Pen Tours is now back for its sixth season. Tours include the Standard, Extended and new this year, the Architectural and Film Tours!
Kingston Pen Tours offers a unique opportunity to explore Canada's oldest maximum-security prison. Closed in 2013 and designated as a National Historic Site, it is an amazing historical building, predating Canada's confederation in 1867.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Tours & Admission
|*Kingston Area Residents save $5
Pricing includes all fees and HST.
- Tours run every day from 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Last tour leaves at 4:00 pm
- 1:40 pm tour will be delivered in French
- No refunds or exchanges are permitted.
- Plan to arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to their booked tour time.
- Tour route covers outdoor spaces and operates in a variety of weather conditions. Please be prepared for conditions on the day of your tour.
Before You Visit
What is the address of Kingston Penitentiary?
- Located at 560 King St W, Kingston, Ontario
Will parking be available?
- Parking is available at no charge onsite. All guest and vehicle access to our parking lot will be open as well.
Will washrooms be available?
- Washrooms are available at the start of the tour as well the end of the tour. Guests are advised to use a washroom before starting the tour.
- Please note that our team will be cleaning frequently as well.
Will the retail shop be available?
- Yes, our retail shop will be available at the end of the tour.
Health & Safety Measures
Will there be guidelines for physical distancing?
- All guests will have to follow physical distancing rules as mandated by the Ontario Government and must maintain 2 metre spacing from others. Staff will monitor and educate customers on physical distancing rules.
What measures are you taking to ensure the safety of your staff and guests?
- Guests are encouraged to book tickets online in advance and plan to arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to their booked tour time.
- Face coverings or masks are required during tours and guests are encouraged to bring their own, as well as their own personal protective equipment if they wish.
- Guests will be required to self-assess their health and will be encouraged not to visit our attractions if there is any possibility that they may have contracted or have come into contact with COVID-19.
- Signage onsite and other protocols will communicate best practices, so guests understand the required health and safety behaviours.
- Cleaning practices have been enhanced throughout the tour route and washrooms.
How are the Kingston Pen Tours made possible?
- Kingston Penitentiary Tours have been made possible through a partnership between the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) and St. Lawrence Parks Commission (SLPC) who will deliver the tour experience. SLPC has hired students to act as tour guides supported by retired CSC employees.
Can I bring my camera?
- Personal cameras are welcome but no tripods or heavy equipment allowed on the tours.
Can I film or record my tour?
- No audio or video recording is permitted without prior written approval by the St. Lawrence Parks Commission.
Can I bring my walker/wheelchair?
- Yes, walkers and wheelchairs are allowed on the tours. We have 12 wheelchairs on site. Please note there may be some areas that may be difficult to access.